摘要:And as they say, may he rest in peace, because Mr. Mangione died today, we just found out.
Welcome back, everybody.
欢迎回来,各位。
Give it up for Louis Cato and the Late Show Band.
让我们为路易斯·卡托和《深夜秀》乐队鼓掌喝彩。
Louis, just real quick here.
路易斯,简单说一下。
Yes.
是的。
What you were just playing, tell the people what you were just playing.
你刚才演奏的曲子,告诉观众你刚才演奏的是什么。
We were just playing Feel So Good by Chuck Mangione.
我们刚才在播放查克·曼吉奥内的《感觉真好》。
Rest in peace.
安息吧。
And as they say, may he rest in peace, because Mr. Mangione died today, we just found out.
正如他们所说,愿他安息,因为我们刚刚得知,曼吉奥内先生今天去世了。
And I don't normally answer any Colbert questionnaire questions, because I said I would only answer those questions if I was going to let you know I was leaving the show.
我通常不回答任何科尔伯特问卷的问题,因为我曾说过, 只有在打算告诉你我要离开节目时, 才会回答那些问题。
But since that's been decided for me, let me tell you, that was my first concert.
既然已经为我决定了,那就让我告诉你,那是我第一次听音乐会。
I saw Chuck Mangione.
我见到了查克·曼吉奥内。
Wow.
哇。
To hear, because he had that hit.
听吧,因为他有那首热门歌曲。
Yeah.
是的。
Feel so good.
感觉棒极了。
Yeah.
是的。
And the album was the Children of Sanchez.
这张专辑名为《桑切斯的孩子》。
That was the name of the tour.
那就是巡演的名字。
It was the Children of Sanchez Tour.
那是《桑切斯的孩子》巡演。
Wow.
哇。
And I saw him at Gillyard Auditorium in Charleston.
我在查尔斯顿的吉利亚德礼堂见到了他。
I think I was 13, maybe 12.
我想我当时13岁,也许12岁。
Wow.
哇。
Because it was 77, I think.
因为那是在77年。
And I saw it with my mom.
我和我妈妈一起看了那场表演。
And nothing cooler than that.
没有什么比这更酷的了。
And I got to school on Monday.
周一我到学校时。
And eh, nobody cared.
呃,没人关心。
OK.
还行。
I care.
关怀。
Love that man.
爱那位男士。
Fantastic.
棒了
Folks, tonight I am proud to present to you the grand finale of our fan-tolerated segment, Prove It.
各位观众,今晚我荣幸地为大家呈现我们备受粉丝包容的环节“证明它”的压轴大戏。
But first, I need to bring out one of my writers, Asher Perlman.
首先,我需要请出我的撰稿人之一,阿舍·珀尔曼。
Get out here, Asher.
出来吧,阿舍。
Thank you so much.
非常感谢。
Thank you for being here.
感谢您来到这里。
Asher, good to see you.
阿舍,很高兴见到你。
As always, please have a seat.
一如既往,请坐。
Asher, all right, for the uninitiated, let's catch everybody up.
Asher,好的,对于那些还不了解情况的朋友们,让我们来快速回顾一下。
What is Prove It?
什么是“证明它”挑战?
What happened?
发生什么事了?
So, well, Prove It started about six months ago.
所以,“证明自己”这个挑战大约从六个月前开始。
I was watching a basketball game.
我在看一场篮球比赛。
Yeah, and the Memphis Grizzlies were playing, right?
是的,孟菲斯灰熊队当时正在比赛,对吧?
Yes, yeah.
是的,是的。
And Ja Morant did this.
贾·莫兰特做到了这一点。
Let's take a look.
让我们来看一看。
Steps back.
退一步。
Morant, ball fake.
莫兰特,假动作运球。
Oh!
哦!
Okay, that's something that only, like, top NBA players could do.
好的,那可是只有顶尖的NBA球员才能做到的动作。
Yes, yes, I've come to understand that.
是的,是的,我已经明白了。
Yeah, OK.
嗯,好的。
OK, and you saw that.
好的,你也看到了。
And you said, you texted a friend of yours who told us, you said, the specific way in which I'm crazy is that I think I could do that if you gave me six months.
你说,你给一个朋友发了短信, 他告诉我们,你认为自己疯狂的特定方式是, 如果你给我六个月的时间, 我觉得我能做到。
Now, Asher, instead of seeking immediate psychiatric help, tell the people, in fact, what you have been doing ever since.
现在,阿舍,你并没有立即寻求精神科帮助,而是告诉人们, 实际上,你一直在做什么。
Well, you've been having me come on the show once a month and try to do that.
嗯,你每个月都让我上节目尝试做那个动作。
Right.
右。
And I've helped you do that.
我帮过你。
How have I helped?
我帮了什么忙?
You have helped me.
你帮了我。
You got me a gym membership.
你给我办了张健身房的会员卡。
Excuse me?
对不起?
You got me two gym memberships.
你给我办了两张健身房的会员卡。
Yes, yes.
是的是的
And?
和?
And you sent me to train with legendary basketball coach Rick Pitino.
你安排我跟传奇篮球教练里克·皮蒂诺进行了训练。
What an honor.
这是何等的荣幸。
OK.
还行。
And Asher, for those who haven't been keeping up, what have been the results so far?
阿舍尔,对于那些没有持续关注的人来说,到目前为止结果如何?
I haven't dunked yet.
我还没能扣篮呢。
Yes.
是的。
Those are the reports that I'm getting here.
这是我这边得到的消息。
OK.
还行。
In fact, we put together, our editors put together a side-by-side of all your previous attempts next to Ja Moran.
事实上,我们的编辑将你之前的所有尝试与贾·莫兰特的动作并排放在了一起。
Jim, there we go.
吉姆,这就对了。
I want to point out that in those side-by-sides, you went up and came down in the same amount of time that Ja Morant was still going up.
我想指出的是, 在这些并排对比中,你上升和下降所用的时间, 贾·莫兰特还在上升呢。
OK, all right.
好的,没问题。
Now, some of these failures can be blamed on injuries, correct?
现在,其中一些失败可以归咎于伤病,对吧?
Sure, yeah.
当然可以
Catch everyone up on your diseases.
让大家了解你的病情。
So, well, going into it, I had had shoulder surgery, so I was still kind of rebuilding, like, full range of motion.
所以,嗯,开始时,我刚做完肩膀手术,所以还在恢复中,努力重建完整的运动范围。
I have, my knees are really bad.
我的膝盖确实不太好。
Like, they hurt when I run.
比如,我跑步时它们会疼。
And my back throws out.
我的背突然扭伤了。
I throw out my back, like, once a month or so.
我大概每个月都会闪到腰一次。
Yeah, just in a stiff breeze, it goes out.
是的,只要一阵强风,它就熄灭了。
OK.
还行。
All right.
好吧。
Anything else?
还有别的事吗?
Well, last time I was here, there was a fear that I had torn my shoulder, but I actually had- In attempting to dunk.
上次我在这里时, 我曾担心自己的肩膀受伤了,但实际上, 那是在尝试扣篮时发生的。
And at some point during this, yeah.
在这期间某个时刻,确实如此。
Yeah.
是的。
But I have an update on that.
但我有一个关于那件事的最新消息。
I got an x-ray.
我拍了X光。
Yeah.
是的。
And they say it's just bicep tendonitis.
他们说这只是二头肌腱炎。
That was it.
就这样了。
That wasn't the dramatic reveal that you thought it would be.
那并不是你预想中的戏剧性揭晓。
OK, it's been a month since your last dunk attempt.
好的,距离你上次扣篮尝试已经过去一个月了。
We were off the air for a couple of weeks.
我们停播了几周。
How's the progress?
进展如何?
Did you work on it?
你练习过吗?
I worked on it a lot, yeah.
我确实下了很多功夫。
So I was in Michigan at a little cottage, and they had a basketball hoop in the driveway.
所以我在密歇根州的一个小别墅里,那里在车道上装了一个篮球架。
So you could go every day.
所以你可以每天都去。
I went every day.
我每天都去。
Great.
伟大。
Let's see it.
让我们来看看。
OK, this is the closest I got.
好的,这是我最接近的一次尝试。
OK.
还行。
Now, I'm no Mike Breen, but when I was in seventh grade, we called that a layup.
虽说我并非迈克·布伦(Mike Breen)那般专业解说,但记得在七年级时,我们管这叫上篮。
Let's look at the big picture here, OK?
让我们从大局来看,好吗?
It's been six months.
已经过去六个月了。
You worked as hard as you possibly could.
你已经尽了最大的努力。
Ultimately, you failed to dunk.
最终,你未能完成扣篮。
Yeah.
是的。
Or even coming close to dunking.
甚至接近扣篮。
Uh-huh.
嗯哼。
Personally, what's your takeaway here?
就个人而言,你从中得到了什么启示?
Well, I mean, it's been really fun.
嗯,我是说,这真的很有趣。
And I've met a lot of cool people.
我遇到了很多很酷的人。
You met De Niro, right?
你见过德尼罗,对吧?
I did meet De Niro.
我确实见到了德尼罗。
What?
什么?
How?
如何?
I met Robert De Niro doing this.
我做这个的时候遇到了罗伯特·德尼罗。
Doing this.
做这个。
Yeah, he was the guest.
是的,他是嘉宾。
He was the guest on my second attempt.
他是我第二次尝试时的嘉宾。
He was the guest that night.
那晚他是嘉宾。
And so when I was walking out, I walked past Robert De Niro, and I left.
所以当我走出来时,我经过了罗伯特·德尼罗,然后离开了。
And as I was leaving the building, someone on his team shouted, he wants to say something.
当我离开大楼时,他团队中的一个人喊道,他想说些什么。
And so I turned around, and Robert De Niro was standing there.
于是我转过身,发现罗伯特·德尼罗就站在那里。
And he sort of looked me up and down, and he just went, That was a nice attempt.
他上下打量了我一番,然后只是说:“那是一次不错的尝试。”
And he shook your hand?
他和你握手了?
He shook my hand.
他握了我的手。
Wow.
哇。
Yeah.
是的。
That's nothing to sneeze at.
那可不是小事一桩。
Yeah.
是的。
De Niro shook your hand.
德尼罗和你握手了。
You're a made man.
你已经功成名就了。
I'm untouchable.
我是不可触碰的。
Exactly.
完全。
But did you learn anything?
但你学到了什么吗?
You went into this with an enormous amount of hubris.
你一开始就带着极大的自负心态进入了这个挑战。
I want to know, did you learn anything about yourself?
我想知道,你有没有从中学到些什么关于自己的东西?
Yes.
是的。
Here's what I learned.
这就是我学到的。
So I didn't accomplish my goal.
所以我没能达成我的目标。
You did not.
你没有。
Having that goal was still worthwhile.
设定那个目标依然是有价值的。
Having something to strive for was still, yeah, yeah.
有一个奋斗的目标依然是很重要的,是的,是的。
It's a message of hope.
这是一个充满希望的信息。
It is.
是的。
It actually, it reminded me, have you seen The Man of La Mancha?
这真的让我想起了,你看过《梦幻骑士》吗?
The musical?
音乐剧?
Yeah, Don Quixote, exactly, yeah.
是的,正是唐吉诃德,没错。
So it's an adaptation of Don Quixote, and there's a, you know, he's a delusional guy.
所以这是一个《唐吉诃德》的改编版本,你知道,他是个有些妄想的人。
Tilting at windmills and stuff like that, yeah, yeah.
与风车搏斗之类的,没错,没错。
And there's a song in Man of La Mancha called The Impossible Dream.
在音乐剧《梦幻骑士》中有一首歌叫做《不可能的梦》。
Famous, yeah.
着名的,是的。
Yeah.
是的。
And in The Impossible Dream, someone is confronting Quixote about why he does what he does.
在《不可能的梦》中,有人质问唐吉诃德,为何他要如此行事。
And the point of the song is basically, Having a dream, even if it's doomed, is still a noble thing.
这首歌的主旨基本上是,拥有一个梦想,即便注定失败,依然是一种高尚的行为。
And that really resonates with me.
这真的引起了我的共鸣。
After these six months?
这六个月之后呢?
Yeah.
是的。
Well, I mean, all jokes aside, that's a lovely sentiment.
好吧,我是说,抛开所有玩笑不谈,这是一个美好的情感。
To dream.
做梦。
The impossible dream.
不可能的梦。
To fight the unbeatable foe.
去对抗那无法战胜的敌人。
We have a hard commercial break here.
我们这里有一个强制性的广告插播。
To bear with unbearable sorrow.
忍受难以承受的悲伤。
Don't help him.
别帮他。
To run where the king does not go.
去王者未至之地。
This is my quest to follow the sun.
这是我的追求,追随太阳的脚步。
We'll be right back with Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro, everybody.
我们马上回来,届时将迎来宾夕法尼亚州州长乔什·夏皮罗,各位敬请期待。
来源:英语东